Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Birth Story

What a fun adventure the last week has been! Friday, October 21 was much like the many days preceding it. I had inconsistent contractions throughout the day, which I had learned to disregard since nothing had ever come of them. I was 9 days overdue, and my induction date was set for October 24. I went to bed that night with the persistent, frustrating contractions that didn't amount to anything and fell asleep. I woke up around 1:00 am, however, with a fairly hard contraction. I tossed and turned for a while as painful contractions continued, but inconsistently. After 15 minutes or so, I got up and went out to the living room. I started timing my contractions, and they started to get harder, more consistent, and closer together. Around 2:00 am, my contractions were about 3 minutes apart and quite painful, so I decided it was time to wake Sam up.

I whispered in the darkness, "Sam? I think this is the real thing..." still trying to not put too much stock in what was going on since I had had so many false alarms. He was immediately up and sprang into action. The on-call doctor was called, we were told to come into the hospital, arrangements were made to drop Talmage off with friends (he was so excited to be able to watch Thomas the Train in the middle of the night), and we were off. We arrived at the hospital around 3:00 am.

Our wonderful nurse started going through the check-in routine, declaring that she could tell they were keeping me before doing any checks...I was thrilled to hear that! This was finally the real thing! We were about to meet our son! When she did check me, I was thrilled once again to hear that I was already dilated to 7 cm. Her shift ended at 7 am and she thought she would probably be able to meet our baby! The prospect of just a few hours of labor was so wonderful.
Shortly after arriving at the hospital
Sam was the best support system ever.
Things progressed fairly rapidly from there. We had a fantastic nurse who wanted to support us in all of our decisions along the way and gave us great advice. The on-call doctor arrived sometime around 6:30, and at 6:51 am we heard Wesley's first cries! What a thrilling moment!
He has huge hands with long fingers
And check out the length of those feet and toes! His 0-6 week size shoes are already too small for him!
At 8 lbs, 9 oz and 21 3/4 inches long, he bested Talmage by quite a ways. Talmage was 7 lbs, 7 oz and 20 1/2 inches long.
He was comforted immediately after birth by holding Sam's finger. He is always clutching something now, be it a necklace, the front of a shirt, his pacifier, etc. He finds so much comfort in clinging to something.
Doesn't this face sum up perfectly what it is like to be born???
Those eyedrops are miserable.

His eyes are currently dark, dark blue , but I'm pretty sure they'll turn brown. 
Little elf picture--gotta love those hospital hats!
 I learned a lot from my hospital experience with Talmage, and one thing I learned that helped immensely was to bring my own nightgown and to shower and change as soon as I possibly could. I felt so much more human! We were so excited for Talmage to come meet Wesley. Another friend brought him up to the hospital and even filmed the first few minutes of their introduction.
First family picture!
He immediately started giving him kisses.
He had the cutest reaction! He couldn't get enough of "Baby Wesey." 
He insisted on holding him pretty much the whole time he was there and kept trying to shove our hands away because he didn't want any help. 
Talmage thought it was hilarious when Wesley grabbed his nose! 

I love my 3 boys!
Then came the hugs...

The hospital brought a "sibling cake" for Talmage to celebrate.
He loved eating the frosting, anyway...
 It was really hard to tell Talmage good-bye and spend the night in the hospital. I have never been away from Talmage overnight before, and it was hard to have him absent in the midst of the euphoria of our new arrival. But we are so grateful for wonderful friends and ward members who took such good care of him so Sam could be with us.

Another example of his need to cling to things
Both Wesley and Talmage constantly had their hands by their faces, and both of them pulled on their eyes like this.
 On Sunday morning I convinced the hospital staff that we were ready to go home. They thought I was crazy for wanting to go home early but started making arrangements for us to go home that afternoon. Unfortunately, we had to wait for a doctor to do one last thing and he was held up all day until he could finally get to us. We didn't get home until 10:30 pm or so, but I was just elated that I didn't have to spend another night in a hospital bed. And it was wonderful to be home together as a family!
As I got him dressed to go home he put his hands up like this and it looked like he was a little mastermind, devising some sort of plot.
I love how tiny newborns look in carseats!
We love having Wesley in our home! We are so grateful to our Heavenly Father for affording us this remarkable experience and look forward to continuing on our journey through life as a family of 4.


  1. Congratulations to Kaitlyn, Sam, and Talmage on Wesley's birth!

    Having two guys will be the funnest thing ever! Talmage is a great brother.

    It looks like Talmage and Wesley are going to be the best of brothers and friends.


    Grandpa Brady

  2. Wesley is so adorable. I am so glad that we were able to help your family out with Talmage so that Sam could be with you and baby Wesley. Talmage is such a sweet spirit and obviously is crazy about his baby brother! Your life from here on out will be such an adventure. A crazy chaotic adventure that you will love.

  3. Super cute! I absolutely LOVE the newborn face. It just doesn't get any more expressive than that!

    And seriously, are you wearing a dress?! I'm all for bringing your won clothes, but I totally wore my pi's out of the hospital. But I am jealous that you don't seem to have an IV needle in your hand. With both my kids that was the last thing they removed before we left, and that was reason enough to leave quickly in my opinion. (Even though I wasn't induced with Emily, they still put the needle in just in case soothing was needed immediately - did they do that for you?)

    Thanks for the pictures!

  4. P.S. Did you put make-up on at 3:00 am?! I'm totally sure I look awful in all my birthing pictures! :)

  5. Jocilyn-Ok, you caught me. I was vain enough to put make-up on between contractions before we left. Haha. As for the "dress," that's my nightgown! I really wanted to bring real clothes to hang out at the hospital in, but I thought a gown would probably work best for obvious reasons. I finally found this great nightgown online for like $12. With Talmage I didn't even realize I could shower until right before we left 2 days after he was born and stayed in my hospital gown the whole time. Ew.

    And I feel SO bad you had to have an IV needle in the whole time! Talk about obnoxious! I hate how they feel! They put an IV in right when I got to the hospital just to hydrate me (I guess), and then put me on pitocin right after Wesley was born to help shrink the uterus back down and reduce blood loss (they did that with Talmage as well--did they do that with your kids?). As soon as the pitocin was gone, they took the IV out, thankfully.

  6. Aha! I knew you put make-up on.

    Also, Talmage's reaction is adorable. LOVE it. Cute cute cute!

  7. Congratulations, Kaitlyn! I am SO happy for you! You are awesome! Keep us updated on how it is living with two boys. :) LOVE YOU!

  8. Yep. I was going to say the same thing about the makeup.

    And I love the "sibling cake."

  9. Yep. I was going to say the same thing about the makeup.

    And I love the "sibling cake."

  10. Kaitlyn, Congratulations! Your baby is adorable! Thanks for all the pictures.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...